These fun facts about the history of wine are sure to impress at your next cocktail party!
Wine has been a staple throughout history. From ancient Rome to the royal courts of Europe, wine has been present. But how did our modern consumption of wine first begin? Julius Caesar likely didn’t pair his dinners with a cabernet sauvignon and merlot. Check out these fun facts about wine throughout history.
- Wine has been consumed for as long as history has been written. The earliest known documentation was on a cuneiform tablet dating back to 2031 B.C.E. The tablet was a receipt for the sale of wine jugs. However, it is believed that wine drinking began as early as 4000 B.C.E.
- Wine has its origins in the Middle East, as that’s where grapes had originated.
- Wine was the beverage of choice back in the day, not necessarily because of taste. Beverages such as water or milk were often unsafe to drink. The alcohol in wine, however, eliminated such pathogens making it the safest drink.
- Wine drinking has played a part in folklore around the world, from Persia to Ancient Rome.
- The first development of different types of wine from different regions began during the Renaissance in the 14th
- Our modern take on wine as far as grape growing, wine production and wine storage came about during the Enlightenment period in the 18th century.
- The invention of fine wine is relatively recent. Historically there was very little fine wine. In the early 20th century there was fine wine called “vin fin”, but most wines were “vin ordinaire”, or just regular, ordinary wine.
Appreciate the wines you know and love. Be sure to check out your local wineries in Ventura County, California. They offer the best tastings in the area. Contact Ventura County Winery Association today!